Date(s) - 17/10/2020
14:00 - 17:00
Go for a Dérive, an urban playful exploration
The PhotoDérive is a photo exploration of our space, based on the Dérive, a cultural practice with its genesis in psychogeography. The Dérive is “a technique of rapid passage through varied ambiances. Dérives involve playful-constructive behavior and awareness of psychogeographical effects, and are thus quite different from the classic notions of journey or stroll.
In a Dérive one or more persons during a certain period drop their relations, their work and leisure activities, and all their other usual motives for movement and action, and let themselves be drawn by the attractions of the terrain and the encounters they find there. Chance is a less important factor in this activity than one might think: from a dérive point of view cities have psychogeographical contours, with constant currents, fixed points and vortexes that strongly discourage entry into or exit from certain zones.” (1956, definition by Guy Debord, founder initiator of Psychogeography)
Using the Dérive as a method and a set of analogue PhotoDérive cards as prompts to trigger creative paths to your Derive, participants will explore the neighbourhood exploring how the space affects them and tell a story through photographs.
Use the form below to book a spot -places are limited to 10 persons. It will be a contact less event, accompanied with an online video conference and Instagram Live session. After the event, participants will gather online to exchange views about their Derive. Those who so want, can share their photos to illustrate their story telling.
When you book a spot, you
- gain access to the online event launching the Dérive and the online follow up online discussion.
- receive an email with a PDF with a few prompts to guide your Derive.
- If you prefer an custom designed PhotoDérive card deck with prompts, you can order your set below. The price includes shipping within Germany. International shipping -with tracking number and insurance- must be booked as an extra item.
After you book your space you will receive an email with instructions for payment. Bank transfer and PayPal are accepted.
A playful exploration, losing yourself to explore the city following the way it makes you feel.
What is the Card Kit?
A PhotoDérive Kit will be mailed to you containing the following:
- A set of 40 PhotoDérive companion card deck. It contains 30 prompts and 10 situationist cards, to guide you randomly through your Dérive
- A Quick Start guide to help you take your first steps in future Dérives
- An A6 field notebook and a small pencil to make notes during your Dérive
- A metal box to carry the Card Deck and the rest of the elements
- A couple of stickers…because who doesn’t like stickers?
How does the PhotoDérive day on 17. October work?
To ensure you and us remain healthy, we have re-designed the Dérive to work in times of a global pandemic: guided and supported digitally, focused on outdoors photography and location independent.
Usually, we would gather for a discussion about how we perceive our spaces, talk about the different ways of perceiving and exploring. You would get an basic quick start guide on how to use the card kit and you -and your friends if you are in a team- would begin he exploration. During the pandemic, we are replacing this instance with a series of online live events.
1. After your registration is confirmed, you will get a welcome email, an abbreviated version of the card kit and the link for the online video kick-off meeting.
2. On PhotoDérive day, at 14.00 h, we gather online for a welcome, quick start guide and Q&A session. It will take 15minutes maximum.
3. Based on the discussion we had and your preference for urban exploration, you can use the abbreviated card kit to guide and support your urban exploration. The idea it let the cards guide your exploration randomly and that you keep notes on how you are experiencing the walk, why you chose the image for your photo and how you felt during the walk.