As part of the European Month of Photography events, we are going on a PhotoDérive in Berlin next Saturday 17.October from 14.00 to 17.00 h.
The PhotoDérive is a photo exploration of our space, based on the Dérive, a cultural practice with its genesis in psychogeography. The Dérive is “a technique of rapid passage through varied ambiances. Dérives involve playful-constructive behavior and awareness of psychogeographical effects, and are thus quite different from the classic notions of journey or stroll.
Go for a Dérive, an urban playful exploration
In a Dérive one or more persons during a certain period drop their relations, their work and leisure activities, and all their other usual motives for movement and action, and let themselves be drawn by the attractions of the terrain and the encounters they find there. Chance is a less important factor in this activity than one might think: from a dérive point of view cities have psychogeographical contours, with constant currents, fixed points and vortexes that strongly discourage entry into or exit from certain zones.” (1956, definition by Guy Debord, founder initiator of Psychogeography)
Using the Dérive as a method and a set of analogue PhotoDérive cards as prompts to trigger creative paths to your Derive, participants will explore the neighbourhood exploring how the space affects them and tell a story through photographs.
Use the form below to book a spot -places are limited to 10 persons. It will be a contact less event, accompanied with an online video conference and Instagram Live session. After the event, participants will gather online to exchange views about their Derive. Those who so want, can share their photos to illustrate their story telling.
When you book a spot, you
- gain access to the online event launching the Dérive and the online follow up online discussion.
- receive an email with a PDF with a few prompts to guide your Derive.
- If you prefer an custom designed PhotoDérive card deck with prompts, you can order your set below. The price includes shipping within Germany. International shipping -with tracking number and insurance- must be booked as an extra item.
After you book your space you will receive an email with instructions for payment. Bank transfer and PayPal are accepted.
Once your payment is confirmed, you will receive further instructions and the materials you need to go on your PhotoDérive:
- a PDF file with the situational and inspirational cards to use during your PhotoDérive
- a link to participate in the kick-off and closing of the event using video conferencing
- instructions to upload your photos if you want to participate in an online 3D Exhibition
We have adapted the concept of PhotoDérive to ensure it is a safe event where participants can make choices to stay safe and healthy. To see how we do this, read how we organise a PhotoDérive in times of COVID19.